Our guided tour through Longhorn Cavern was amazing. There is SO much history to the caves. Our guide was very knowledgeable and made the tour interesting for everyone. It was a lot cooler in the caves, so we bundled up in all the warm(-ish) clothes we had with.
At one point during the tour, our guide turned off all the lights so we could experience complete darkness. After three weeks in complete darkness, you will begin to go blind, since your eyes are not in use. Deep into the cave, there is a lake with catfish in it. A river used to go through the cave and now it doesn't, but the catfish are still there. They are in a part that has no light, so they are blind. In fact, they don't even grow eyes anymore, and they are see-through... Yikes! We didn't see them, since we didn't get special government permission, not that I would want to see that.
Supposedly, this is a natural formation. They had samples taken to prove it. It has been repaired once though, after a girl from a dance party (in the cave) sat on it and broke it. I bet she felt silly about that.
Matix ate up all the information our guide was telling us and figured out which rooms were bat rooms, and if the bats were male or female. I loved that he was paying attention!
Hawken loved all the crystals and wanted pictures of pretty much every shiny thing.
When I asked for a smile, this is what I got. Thank you Lullaby.
Seriously, gorgeous, right? I messed around with camera settings because the light was very dim inside the cave and a bright flash blacked out everything in the background. Lots of the pictures are blurred because it let in more light that way.
Family shot near the entrance to the cave.
Afterward, we wandered around the grounds for a while before calling it a day. Seriously, another fabulous place. This one was expensive, but worth it. We all liked it really well.






2 comments:
Those caverns are different than any I've seen. They really are beautiful. The surrounding grounds are beautiful too. It would have been fun to watch the kids reactions to the cavern.
I have always loved caves (as you well know! This one was beautiful!
Post a Comment