Tuesday, August 13, 2013

jobs

Just in time for the new baby to get here (still waiting on him/her)... The kids started showing lots of interest in doing JOBS. As in CHORES... I was pleasantly surprised when I asked if they would like to take out the trash... "Yes please Mommy!" The recycle? "Oh yes! I want that job!" Clearing, cleaning and setting the table? "Please please PLEASE let me do that Mommy!" And so on and so on...  So I used some popsicle sticks from a project that the kids had done with my mom last month, and made them into "job sticks". I know, I am so creative in naming them that.
I have my eye on a container from The Container Store to hold them and have a nice finish place for the sticks to go as the jobs are completed.  Until then, They just pick out the job(s) they want to do and go to it. It's so nice. So far They have about 10 jobs they can pick from and do, mostly independently and it's going to be such a real help to me. All of a sudden I don't have to do everything by myself... What's this going to be like?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Clever idea! as always. It's never to soon to start them on chores, especially when they are interested in helping. I know all the praise they will get will help.

Mom said...

When you were little, I read an article that suggested that you start with one chore per year of age and work up. That's what we did and it worked pretty well. You also got to do extra jobs for money, but the regular chores were just part of being a member of the family. When you were little, you helped carry groceries in, folded laundry, carried things upstairs, put away toys, cleaned your room, made your bed, bussed dishes, dusted, picked weeds, etc. Later of course, the jobs were bigger. You also drove Jolie places and picked up things from the store in exchange for car privileges later on. Stacy's right. You can't start too early.