Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Toucari Bay

Paul's parents got here on Sunday the 23rd, and we have been going out on little adventures everyday.

On Wednesday, we went to Toucari Bay. It was a 15 minute drive from campus. The University has been putting together little tours for the students and their families to get to see the island before the semester starts, so it was free.

The bay has a beautiful sandy beach with palm trees that grow out over parts of it. There is a huge coral reef in the bay with lots of colorful fish. Perfect for snorkeling. Morgan was on a dive working towards his scuba certification that day, so he didn't go. Matix and I played on the shore the first half of the trip while Stacy, Lee and Paul explored the reef. Then Stacy and I switched so I could snorkel too.


What you don't see in the video is when I got burned by fire coral. :( Now, I know you're not supposed to touch coral, but a wave pushed me towards it while I was admiring some fish... I used my left hand to push myself back from it, but it burned me! My gut reaction was to get away from that area as soon as possible. So I pushed away from the coral with my shins since the initial burn shocked me into that position with my legs underneath me, rather than behind me. That burned me too! OUCH! It was pretty deep where we were so I swam back to the shore following Paul so I didn't run into any more coral. My hand and legs bubbled and blistered up and looked like a bad rash right away.

The crappy thing about fire coral is it isn't really a coral at all... It is an organism that grows on corals and the thing that burns you are the toxins it shoots out if it gets touched. It is supposed to paralyze fish. Anyway, every time you get your wound wet with salt or fresh water, it triggers the toxins to fire again in you. So every time I take a shower or go swimming, it burns again. But it has been getting better and better each day. I can still see a light rash on my legs now, but it doesn't sting anymore.

All that aside, look how cute this picture is. Paul found a starfish and brought it up for Matix to see.
Matix loved it, especially when it was trying to move around while he held it. Lots of giggles. :)

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh the things I learn about the ocean from you guys. What is Paul going to school for--degree in?

Jessie said...

he is getting his medical degree. part of the book work is done here, then we go back to the states to finish. :)

Anonymous said...

What great adventures. Enjoy it while you can. Love you and the cute picture of Matix. That is really good. Grandma Berg

The Fredericks said...

I HATE the fire coral- I LOVE the pic of the starfish- so fun- next semester we will have to do those free trips with you- why didn't I know about those?! how fun- we have to play soon :)

coxlopes said...

When are you due? We were thinking about visiting... but need to get some details. Do you have skype?

jessie said...

i am due on the 6th of december. leaving the island around the 1st of november. yes we have skype, i will call you soon melissa. :) can't wait to see you!!!