Paul was doing testing of Covid-19 patients, so our family was under quarantine even before it was mandated by the state. The beaches closed, and the kids didn't leave the house for a few months. It was lonely, but okay. I think I felt more stir crazy than they did at that point. Here are some of Lullaby's drawings.
We spent lots of time tending to our yard, orchard and gardens. It's a big place to take care of.
Our Samoan coconut tree started producing some very low hanging fruit, which the kids were SO excited about.
The kids cut back all the monstera that was growing over their playhouse, only to have it come back a few weeks later. I actually love the look of it, and told them to leave it. I think it looks better this way.
I started venturing out in baking more, not just the usual cookies. In fact, I didn't make any cookies from February until after the move.
The kids helped Paul take apart the keyboard to fix a key that wasn't working. They did it! I'm so impressed with his abilities.
Kitty snuggles are a constant.
We organized our closets and got rid of all the clothes the kids didn't fit, which was a LOT.

We talked to friends more, since most everyone was home now. The kids had Skype and Zoom playdates several times a week.
Solace continued on with online speech from Ms. Corrie. It was weird, but better than nothing.
Heading to the post office was one of my first times out, and masks were mandatory. I didn't have one yet, so I made one out of a handkerchief, and felt like a bank robber.
After lots of discussion, Paul and I decided it was time to move. The Big Island was good for us, and our family, but it was time. We called a realtor and she sold the house for us (twice!, first one fell through) without even listing it. We didn't have to get pictures done, or have people walk through, they just bought it. It was such a blessing. We sold it for barely more than we bought it for, so we didn't make the profit we had hoped for, but it was sold and the buyers let us stay there until we could get flights off the island. We talked to our realtor mid March, and it closed on March 31st. Fast!
Going to sign closing documents. Woohoo!
Paul and I both had mixed emotions about leaving Hawaii, but with his Grandpa on hospice, and a few other things, we felt like it was time. We didn't tell any Hawaii friends, because we wanted to talk to them in person, but Covid got it the way of that. It was hard. We also didn't tell the kids until the end of April, and we left a few weeks later. Utah was never on my list of places I ever wanted to live, but now that we're here, and I see Paul and the kids thriving, I know it was the right move.
No comments:
Post a Comment