My friend's daughter, Maile, got married and the wedding was the most amazing I've ever been to. The bride is Hawaiian, and the groom is Maori. They and they families performed several dances, chants, and songs throughout the night, promising to welcome the others, protect them, look after them, and love them like their own. We were all in tears watching it all. The only pictures I have are one of Maile about to do her hula for her new hubby, and one of Lullaby drenched in rain because she wouldn't stay in the tent.
In the video you'll see the mother of the bride, Tobbie, and her two eldest daughters, welcoming the bride to being a woman. The groom and his best men dancing and chanting for Maile, showing how strong and fiercely they will protect her, and last is a clip of the grooms whole family chanting and dancing for the new couple, welcoming them, and promising to take care of them. The men all had bruises and the women had sore throats the next day from all the yelling and singing and dancing. It was amazing.


1 comment:
Oh! I cried too! So moving!
Post a Comment