Thursday, January 18, 2024

Up until the move!

Another trampoline park, Airborne, this time for Hawk's birthday! His best friend Jonny came with us, and we played, and jumped, and went out for froyo after. Then Jonny got to sleep over, and we opened more presents in the morning then out for Waffle Love for his favorite breakfast, and some sledding. 


Menchies was paid for in part by Grandma Kim and Grandpa Louie. They add $25 to the birthday card for the birthday person to treat everyone to ice cream or another treat. It's been really fun for the kids to do that! They love picking the place and paying for the treat. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! 




Out to a church activity with Great Grandma Berg's ward, plus Jonny.


Then to the Hunt's house for some cake with their whole family, and dinner too. We love you Hawky! Happy Birthday!


We turned in all our spare change at a CoinStar and got $81!! Wow!


I have debated writing about this too much, but it's far enough past the incident that I feel okay about it. Paul's Dad, Lee, is in jail. We still talk about him, but it's very sad for the kids to have basically lost another grandparent. The last time we saw him was in 2016. Solace only remembers him from pictures. He wrote this letter to him, and I thought it was particularly sweet. Paul and Della went to see him in prison. It was important for Della to be able to see him, and Paul too. It was a bittersweet visit. Happy to see him and tell him he's loved, but so so sad and disappointed for his actions that got him there. Just a quick trip, and Paul was pretty upset afterward. Lots of healing is still needed for this hurt. 

Cinnamon roll baking for Lullaby and Great Grandma Berg.  They were SO good!


Matix can use the snowblower on his own now, which is so helpful! 


Double date with the Hunt's is always a blast. This time it was to a guided meditation, so cool. 


Swishy, Snow, Pumpkin, and Whiskey had to go for their last vet visit within a week of their flights to get their health certificate to be able to fly. Matix is always my helper at the vet office. They all passed their tests, and were ready for the flight!


Christmas party at the Harmer's house. It was their ugly sweater party, and Paul and I dressed as ugly sweaters, as in runners, that are sweating. We thought it was a clever play on words.


Santa at Great Grandma's church, always fun.


Out to froyo at Menchie's again, of course. 

Paul and his cousin Ryan, and his friends, Mason and Brandon went skiing and snowboarding up at Brighton.


This is the day that we realized Matix was taller than me. So crazy how fast that day came. 


Matix wrote a poem about Pearl Harbor after learning more of the history of it. I thought it was good. 


Saying goodbye to the Hunt family, they came over to Great Grandma Berg's house.


A bunch of Paul's family came over to say goodbye too. It was so sweet.


Late that night, the Anderson's, our friends from Big Island, came over to say hello! The kids played a few games and we caught up with the parents. So fun.


Kitty catching in the morning was tricky. Whiskey escaped, as usual, and hid under a neighbors porch. Snow and Pumpkin came easily. Goodbyes with Grandma were the hardest. She cried, we cried. We love her so much. 


We drove to California and stayed overnight because Swishy, Whiskey, and Snow flew as cargo early in the morning.  The pets all did great in the hotel. The cats used the makeshift litter box and they all enjoyed sleeping on the beds, Swishy especially. Paul worked a little, we picked up the cages we needed from the Pobst's. We got a rental car, dropped off our SUV at the dock to be shipped. 


At 5am, Matix and I woke up to take Swishy, Snow, and Whiskey to get on their cargo flight. I had all the right paperwork and we kissed them all extra and said goodbye. 

Matix and I made it back to the hotel to grab everyone else, and load up. 


I dropped everyone at the airport, returned the car, road the shuttle with all the paperwork and Pumpkin, and got back to the airport 3 minutes too late! The ticketing counter people needed to be convinced that I needed to be on the that flight, with my kids, and husband, and pets. I was the only person on their paperwork and they wouldn't be able to be released to anyone else. I told them I could RUN the three miles (thanks a lot LAX) to make the flight. Meanwhile Paul was convincing the people boarding the plane to hold it for me. I ran and ran and ran, then went through security, where I had to take Pumpkin out of her carrier, which she hated. That's when I started hearing my name being paged... Then I ran and ran and ran again, and finally on the last stretch, I saw the gate, way down at the end of a long hall. There was finally an empty car and driver that I hailed down. She saw my distress, and drove that thing FAST with us in it and got Pumpkin and I to the gate as they were shutting the door. I made it in and to my seat, just in time. I was a sweaty mess, and Pumpkin was probably a little nauseous from the bumpy run to the gate, but we made it! 

The flight, afterward, was uneventful, my favorite kind of flight. We were greeted with a heavy hit of heat and humidity, and a rooster at the airport. Hooray! Welcome to Kauai! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my goodness! I remember all the rigmarole (rigamarole?) you had to go through to get the pets to Kauai! Two other very touching parts of this post were Matix's Pearl Harbor poem and Solace's letter to Grandpa Lee.