Here it is, in all it's glory. This is Enchanted Rock. That's it. It was about a million degrees that day, and the drive was LONG to get there. Paul was super excited about it, but I wasn't. Paul was determined and about half way up, I knew I wouldn't make it all the way carrying Solace (who refused to walk) up and back. It was over a mile to the top, and then back down. All with VERY little shade. So I took Solace back to the air-conditioned car, and the three big kids went with Paul to the top. It was a very anxious wait while I watched lots of other people leave after I got down and come back before Paul saying it was too hot to go farther, and dogs coming back with bloody paws from the hot ground splitting their pads...
But they made it to the top! Sweaty and red, but they all made it. I was very impressed! Looks like we have some hikers in the family! The view (not that I saw it personally) was cool. It's so flat there, with the exception of this rock.
They found this tiny bit of shade near the top to rest in for a while.
Here they are pointing to the 3-D diorama of the rock where they had just been. Good job tiny hikers!
Of course, as soon as I saw them coming I had the water and Gatorades ready. They did great, and everyone passed out on the way home, but Lullaby was out within a few minutes. Poor thing. That's a lot of work!
This was our last camping adventure in Austin. We had a great time, as usual. We love it there.







2 comments:
I am still so amazed that Lullaby made it! You go girl!!
So Paul got to go to enchanted rock?! So did he find it enchanting? I remember you two talking about going there. The view does look really nice. Where's a cool river or lake when you need it? Good job hiking Matix, Hawken, and Lullaby! :)
Post a Comment