Tuesday, September 27, 2011

rotation #1 DONE!!

Paul just finished his first ever clinical rotation!!
He did a family medicine rotation following 3 different doctors (2 weeks each) at various locations. I really liked his relaxed schedule. He was able to come home every day around 5 or 6, and he didn't have any overnights or weekends. It was perfect. This is what Paul has to say about it:

It was an epic experience, I got to see the whole spread of ages and ethnicities. They gave us a lot of freedom, so I was able to do tons of stuff on my own. One time I got to see a patient all by myself. I did the entire physical examination, I wrote all the notes, and made my recommendation, and the doctor just came in and signed it and said it was exactly what she would have done, and walked out. All the tuition money I have paid is finally validated in 7 minutes of patient interaction. :) And I am now trying to pack a more kosher lunch after working here... :)

Next on the table is a 12 week rotation in internal medicine. It is similar to family medicine in that Paul will see a variety of patients and follow a number of different doctors at different locations. This rotation started yesterday and will continue on until the middle of December (when we move to Georgia!). He met his doctor today and LOVES him. The doctor seems to have a personality similar to Paul's and Paul couldn't be more excited. :) This rotation, however, has a few late nights each week (which the kids and I are not looking forward to), and some weekends. Hmmm... At least the baby is already here, so I don't have to worry about that. :) Cheers to 1 down, and 5 more core rotations to go!!

4 comments:

Michigan Roys said...

Congrats! Sounds like it is going well! How long will you be in Georgia? Enjoy IM!

Josh and Kelly said...

Hooray!!! This part is so fun. I am sure you will all get used to Paul being gone more, just keep busy and it will go by fast.

Mom said...

Ooh! You are so used to Paul's help at night! He will be sorely missed. But you can do it. It will be fine.

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

How exciting for Paul to be moving on! I know how hard it can be to do things alone at night! Hang in there, it'll go by fast!