Wednesday, February 15, 2012

money

Since we are trying to budget our family of 5 (plus 1 dog) on 1 student's loan money, it can get TIGHT. Money is always an issue. I have looked into several ways to make it work better with a little more wiggle room in case we would like to buy something frivolous, like, new shoes for Matix... I know, we live on the wild side! Well, it started with craigslist. There is a section on there for FREE things. Items people are just giving away. Because of that we got 2 backyard play sets (Paul has built a fortress, pictures to come), a little tykes slide, 2 plastic kid chairs, a little kid plastic picnic table, TONS of Thomas the train stuff, mega bloks, cars, a couch, a highchair, and more... crazy, I know. All the things we have received have been in good condition too. It has been wonderful.

My next biggest problem was our grocery bill. Although we hardly ever eat out, and I was shopping mostly sale items, our groceries were too high. So I looked into couponing, like real, is this lady serious with her 30 coupons?, couponing. I don't have all the lingo figured out yet, but I have been able to find a few great deals, not only on our groceries, which have been cut in almost half, but on other items too like toothpaste, dog food, dog treats, toys, and games. Who knew you could watch sales and match them with high dollar coupons for steals? This was my first FREE trip. Literally I paid NOTHING. I have done many trips since then, all with great results.
And now I am addicted. I watch the sales and match my coupons and I am in the process of making a binder with all the coupons. I love it. I really am addicted, but what better thing to be addicted to than saving money? Right? :)

7 comments:

Heidi, Dallin, and Jacob said...

I love Craigslist! Yard sales are also great for kids clothes and toys (especially baby), but you have to be in a nicer area for it to work well.

Michigan Roys said...

I think you could consider that a positive addiction. Way to go!

Josh and Kelly said...

1) You will have to give us all your couponing tips! It is intimidating to me! And I agree, it's a good addiction :)
2) I am still scared to join pinterest, I already waste too much time online!
3)Lullaby looks like a little girl!!! and not a baby!!!

The Castros said...

Awesome!!! I love couponing...and oh the joy when you can get things for free...I definitly share your excitment.

Mom said...

A wonderful addiction! And you forgot to mention what I consider to be the most important concept in couponing, which is something you believe too. And that is to never buy something you wouldn't use, because that doesn't save money (unless of course it's free, which many of your things have been!) You go girl! (Then teach me how.)

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

I can't believe you got all that stuff off of craigslist for free! I'm going to have to look and see for myself!
Sounds like a great addiction to me! You'll have to share your tips and tricks of the trade! Couponing seems so daunting to me! I've thought about doing it many times, but have never been able to wrap my head around it! I know all to well about how tight a budget can be, and finances around here are ALWAYS an issue!

Leslie Barnum said...

We've talked about letting Ethan start a business collecting free items on craigslist and then selling at a garage sale....we just haven't had time yet to spend driving around collecting items.