The boys, after starting to share a room again, have been earning a prize for good bedtime behavior. The two biggest boys love each other too much and have too much fun together to want to sleep without playing. I made up a reward system with the left over treasure from Hawk's pirate party. If each boy did these things; 1. went to sleep without talking or getting out of bed, 2. tiptoed to the bathroom for water or potty breaks, and 3. tiptoed out of the room in the morning when it was 7am, in case anyone else was still sleeping. They each got one jewel in the bucket for each good thing they did each nap time and bed time. It was harder keeping them good when Grandma and Grandpas were here, but eventually they earned this big prize. I got it from Craigslist for a killer price and didn't tell them what there prize was going to be, but that it would be BIG. They love it.
Build your own car tracks is now a favorite toy for them and all their friends. I'm glad they worked so hard to earn it so quickly. Bedtimes are a lot more successful than they were in the beginning, even without having another reward to work for. It's just what's expected, and they know it. I have good kids.

3 comments:
That's what I used to do, too, and I explained it to you that the reward system is just for developing the habit, but once it's in place, we move on to bigger things, and this is now just a normal expectation.
I totally agree - you do have good kids! :)
Very cool! When my little guy gets older, I'm going to have to come to you for a list of your favorite toys. Your boys seem to have a lot of good ones!
Post a Comment