On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we watched his famous dream speech. The boys had already watched it at their schools, but were happy to watch it again for our Family Home Evening activity. Matix and Hawken both quoted it during the speech at different parts, and while we talked about what he meant afterward. Paul and I were extremely surprised and amazed at what they took away from the speech. They are such loving and kind boys.
The day he watched the movie at school, Matix came home and said he cried at school that day. When I asked why, he said it was because of learning about Martin Luther King Jr. He was sad that there were people being treated so badly, so he cried. And he cried again after hearing the speech, because he was happy for what Dr. King was trying to teach people. We talked a lot about civil rights, and past historical tragedies. We also talked about what WE can do to make sure things like this don't happen again. This was our best FHE week ever.

2 comments:
Both of your big boys are so thoughtful and empathetic already!
I'm so glad you are taking time to teach your children about these people and their causes. So much gets passed over in the schools. I see that they did learn about Dr. King at school, but it's good to discuss things at home too. Your boys are very sensitive about how people are treated. Paul was very much like that and still is.
Post a Comment