Tuesday, April 7, 2015

cinder block bench

So I have been wanting some patio furniture, or a bench or really ANYTHING other than our folding camping chairs to sit on when I'm outside watching the kids. The weather has been getting nicer, which means we have been spending more time out there.  Instead of buying something, I decided to make something… And I think it turned out pretty cute. I bought (and loaded and unloaded) everything by myself, which I was pretty proud of. The cinder blocks were only $1.15 each, so the price was RIGHT! I started by sticking stacks of three bricks together with liquid nails and letting that set for a few days. That was only interrupted once when Paul and Brian thought they were helping and moved the stacks all back together, put the very heavy 4 by 4's in and broke one apart, so I had to start that over again...

Then I lay each stack down horizontally in the right place, each stack of three was about 75 pounds, so I didn't want to have to try and move it once they were all glued together. Then I popped in the 4 by 4's and added the cushion (that I sewed the cover for) and called it good! I seriously love it. And it's loooong. The cushion part is longer than Paul or I am tall, so it's plenty spacious! And now because all the cinder block cubes are glued together, it's very secure and stable.

The gray fabric next to the yellow pattern looks especially nice. I really like it! Plus I sprayed it all with NeverWet so it shouldn't get moldy, but I can take it off the cushion and wash the fabric if I need to.

Oh, and this is the free chair I hunted on large trash removal day in Matix's fancy fancy school neighborhood. Love it! The citronella plant has a new home in this partially shaded area too. What do you think? So fun, huh?!

3 comments:

Marie said...

That bench looks great! I am so excited for a back yard to do projects like these.

Mom said...

Oh, my comment didn't stick. I'll try again. I love the fabric, and I love the way the 4X4's form end tables at each side! Great project, and it goes great with the adirondack chair! Now, 'fess up: how much did the brocade fabric cost? It's gorgeous!

Grandma said...

Jesse, what a nice bench, you could go into business! I really like the fabric. I hope we get to see it when we are in Texas.

Love you