Monday, January 25, 2016

NASA Space Center

Well finally, after living in Houston for over 2 and 1/2 years, we went to the NASA Space Center. The kids loved it. It was expensive for just one day, but it was something that we wanted to do before leaving Houston, so I'm glad we went.  Dale and Vanessa as well as her parents and sister and her family all came too. It was a BIG group.  Hawken LOVED this picture of himself and thought he looked like a REAL astronaut. Both big boys decided at some point during the day that they would be astronauts when they grew up.

We took a tour of some of the training facilities, and for some reason we ended up with 8 people in our row instead of the comfortable 4 or 5… So it goes when the kids hang out with their cousins though.

Outside there were engines, and other space shuttle pieces for the kids to see up close and explore. Very cool! The kids realized they could fit inside this small area. Of course Matix was the one to figure that out.

Inside, we got to touch a moon rock. This is one of only 8 in the works that are available to be seen and touched by the public. So cool!

The machinery was incredibly big. To get the whole thing into the picture, Paul was laying on the ground and we had to stick our heads in just the right spot.

The back end of this shuttle was HUGE! The pictures do not do it justice!

Matix and Hawken came running over to me and said they touched "moon dust"… I'm pretty sure it was just earth dust, but they were excited so I guess it doesn't matter much. :)

Solace and Lullaby were in a silly mood and wanted to get their picture taken every few feet. After these 3 pictures, I faked it. I had to or otherwise I would have ended up with hundreds...

We watched a science demonstration about how physics worked in space, rather than here on the earth. It was really fun, and Gavin got to be the assistant.

There was a kids play area, with a slide that was the main attraction for the kids, and a few other things. I thought this little space shuttle viewing area was cool too. The kids lay on their backs and looked out what looked like windows, but were actually computer screens playing a video of what it really looks like during takeoff.

On the way home, Paul fell asleep like this. Really. Hunched over forward. We were in stop and go traffic and so I got the chance to get this picture. So funny. He can fall asleep anywhere!  He was still recovering from his night shift month in December. I swear it takes almost a whole month to just recover!

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Looks like a fun day. Paul will be doing better now no more night shifts

Stacy said...

It looks like you had a great day of discovery and with cousins too, that makes it even better. I love how they enjoy being around each other. I'm glad you finally went to NASA. I thought it was really cool the time we went. It looks like they have included some new things. Poor Paul! It amazes and scares me how much he does on so little sleep. Sweet dreams my boy.

Grandma Kim said...

NASA looks so interesting. If you kids keep getting good grades, and take lots of Science classes when you are given a choice, you can really be an astronaut when you grow up! (Yes, I am with Stacy: Paul NEEDS more sleep!)

Josh and Kelly said...

Fun, Shane would love to go there!!!