Going to the zoo is always a favorite activity. Especially before it gets too hot. These pics were from back in March… I'm definitely behind on the blog.
This particular trip was mostly to go to the swap shop. It's full of things from nature that children can trade for. Each item, (turtle shell, animal bone, sand from exotic place, fossil, acorn, you name it) has an associated point value. So you bring in things you find, and the naturalist adds up your points, you also get additional points if you can tell her about your items, or if you've done any research on them. Hawken had lots of things he wanted to trade in. He traded for a wild boar's tooth and a few sea shells this time. We also found out these whelk egg cases are worth 400 points each! We almost always see these on the beach in the winter/early spring time. Of course every time we've been back to the beach now we haven't seen any of them!
My mom had wanted to see it for herself when she was here visiting, but we missed the chance, so I took a few video clips to show the place, and how it works.
Also, Daddy got to come to the zoo, which is always a treat! Who doesn't love to play tickle tag?!





3 comments:
What a fun thing to do!
Thanks for the video!! I so want to set up something similar in one of the schools!
I think that swap shop is just amazing and that lady who works there is amazing too. I've never met anyone who knew so much about so much! For some reason Hawken looks really big up against Paul. They are all growing up too fast!
Post a Comment