Friday, March 15, 2013

and off we go... to TEXAS!

Well, the results are in... and we are SHOCKED. Paul did not get his first choice, which we thought for sure we would. He received lots of good feedback and letters from the program director from our #1, only to find out that is NOT where we matched... Crazy! Paul interviewed in Texas, only because his brother was there, and he thought it might be fun. After the interview though, he found out that his chances of getting a position there were less than 1% (they had a crazy number of applicants, in the thousands).  It was a bit sad, because he thought it was such an amazing program and would be so great if he had gone to a medical school in Texas (because maybe he would have a chance then...) So we ranked them anyway, and then didn't think about it. I was looking at housing all over the map, but not there, until this afternoon when I read, and re-read the email saying we were on our way to HOUSTON TEXAS... WHAT?!
Really, all we prayed for during this process was that we would be placed where we were supposed to be.  Some place that we could enjoy our adventures and watch our family grow.  All the programs Paul interviewed with were awesome, so matching with any of them would be good.  We just really wanted to go to the state that would be good for us. I never expected it to be Texas, but we are excited to start the housing hunt and our new adventures in TEXAS!!

8 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so excited for you! It will be great being so close to Dale and Vanessa and their growing family. The kids will love that. Cousins are your first best friends! Houston will have so much to offer. And it's in a warm climate as you (now) prefer. And thankfully for me, it's an airport HUB, which I prefer. (To bad Racine doesn't have a teaching hospital.) I can't wait to hear about your housing search. You'll be there for a while, so pick a location with good schools! (School, can you believe THAT??!!)

Holly said...

Congrats! That is so exciting and you guys have really lived everywhere!

Marie said...

It's interesting how things turn out. Atlanta wasn't really on our radar, but Dan was invited out for an interview and it quickly became our favorite. Congrats and good luck with the housing search!

Heidi, Dallin, and Jacob said...

Congrats! I am sure you will love Texas, too, and have many fun adventures there.

charles said...

Awesome! Don't mess with Texas! We are excited to hear about your adventures! xo

Josh and Kelly said...

So excited for you guys Jessie!!! I have known a lot of people who have loved Houston, and I'm sure you guys will too! We are going to Indiana, and I had a dream last night that you guys were too! Oh well.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

CRAZY!!! I was just thinking about ya'll and looked at the calendar and said oh yesterday was match day... I need to check Jessie's blog. That will be a fun exciting new adventure. My sister in law who lives in Dallas said that Spring is a nice place to live. Its on the North side of the city. Good luck!!! Hey and only 2 more weeks until you get to find out the sex!!!

Grandma said...

So happy for you. Paul, you will make a great M.D. It will so nice to raise your kids around their cousins. They will get to enjoy them and have good memories like you do of yours.