Friday, June 18, 2010

the shacks

Matix and Hawken are constantly making new friends when we go out. Here is Matix's new favorite local boy.
I still have yet to get his name... He speaks VERY softly. He is 3 years old and loves to play with Matix when we go to the shacks. He also likes to check on Hawken. So cute. :)

The shacks are 2 rows of small restaurants next to campus. Restaurants make them sound fancier than they really are, which is why they are called shacks. :) They sell produce, local juices, meals, snacks and some souvenirs. Most of the students without spouses eat every meal here... We really like the food from the shacks, but not for EVERY meal. I guess Paul has it pretty good. :) I really need to get more pictures of this place, so those of you who aren't here can really see what it's like.

Here is a picture of some of the produce at Betsy's shack. Those HUGE reddish fruits here next to the cucumbers are mangos! They are bigger than my head, no joke. There is another type of mango (yellow and orange) to the left of them that are about as big as my hand when it's stretched out.

This is Rosalyn with a papaya at her shack. I thought it was a big one. It weighed 7 pounds. BUT, she says there are way bigger ones than that... up to 25 pounds! Yikes!

Also, Matix is better now, just a little runny nose left over, but he is back to his normal happy self. Hawken is on his way to getting better, but I think he is also teething, so it may take him longer to completely recover.

3 comments:

Josh and Kelly said...

I've seen that little boy there! And yes, I don't know how some people eat every meal there! My skin feels greasy just thinking about it.

Mom said...

The food at the shacks is so good though! It's tempting never to cook at all! What a different way of life, though.

Anonymous said...

You could feed a whole family on the mangos and that papaya. Love the pictures