On Thursday the boys had their FIRST ever dentist appointments! We read a book about going to the dentist and the boys, after being reassured there were going to be NO SHOTS, were pretty excited about it. I was... hopeful. :) Hawken was first, but this was his reaction to it. Not a fan.
Hawken hid like this for a minute and then we decided Matix should probably go first instead. Here was Matix at first... brave? Nope, he's a faker. Right after this picture was taken, he sobbed.
And by sobbed, I mean screaming, crying, hysterical sobbing. I held his hands, and tried to comfort him, but getting his teeth brushed was way too scary for him. See the tear stained cheeks? This was at the beginning of the brushing. By the end I had to hold his legs down so he wouldn't kick the dentist, yikes!
Hawken however, decided that he actually liked getting his teeth brushed and his biggest problem was that he kept trying to lick the tooth paste off his teeth while she was cleaning them. :) I love the dirty little cast in the picture.
Both boys got stickers, (even though Matix was horrible), and a few little toys.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these dentists. They made the whole experience so much better than it could have been. They showed the boys each of the tools before they used them, and the boys could touch them and ask what they were for. Really, it was a good experience. Matix continued to pout on the way home, and Hawken was all smiles, as usual.
Both boys were congratulated on their good tooth brushing skills and there were no cavities. Hooray! Hawken though has to go in again on Monday because he has very weak enamel on the top front two teeth, the dentist says it's hereditary and not the cause of poor eating or brushing (phew!). He is going to get them drilled smooth and a little layer of something... cement? put over them to make them stronger. He has to get laughing gas for this, so we will see how that goes. He is already excited to go back.
2 comments:
So brave!
You are brave!! I haven't taken Shane yet because I'm pretty sure he would need to be tied down!
Post a Comment