Thursday, September 26, 2013

doughnuts

When the kids are good, I like to reward them. I'm not a huge fan of bribing, although I have been known to do that too. I like to catch them when they are being good and give them something on the spot. Usually it's just an extra hug or telling them I noticied the wonderful behaviour, which they eat up... But sometimes, I like to get them a treat. This day, I had dropped off Hawken for preschool, adn on the way home, I saw this doughnut shop. It looked like fun, so we went in. (Sorry Hawk) Matix and Lulli each got to pick out the doughnut that they liked. Matix got chocolate with sprinkles, and Lullaby got one with red frosting.
I was sitting there, texting this picture to Paul, and admiring my wonderful sweet children. I told Paul how good they were, and how proud I was.  Then, before I knew it, Matix asked for another one. I said no and explained that this was just a special treat and we were going home soon, so if he was still hungry when we got there he could have something else.  Well, he had a come apart. He was whining and crying and begging for more doughnuts, even after I said no. (I never go back on my word, ever.)  I had to shoo him (still crying) out to the car, while holding the giant carseat and baby, and holding Lullaby's sticky hands... What a scene. Nice moment ruined. Kids are so challenging.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I left the grocery store once when I was already up to check out. I went back later and got my stuff without the crying kids (thankfully they kept it in the cart for me.) You're right to follow through.

Stacy said...

That look on Matix says "really Mom, you're going to take a picture of my donut?" Remember, that if our children were always very good how would we learn patience and long suffering? They're the best teachers, so appreciate the lesson and the experience to learn. No one ever said it was easy! And you are a great student Jessie. Love you :)

Josh and Kelly said...

You are a good mom, we've all been there! It can be hard to follow through but so important!