Tuesday, August 16, 2016

anniversary - part 1

Paul planned and executed the best anniversary gift/trip ever. It was still a few days before our actual anniversary, so I wasn't thinking anything of it. We went over to the Newell's house for dinner with the kids, and then Paul walked in and said, "It's time to go!" I was very confused and thinking we couldn't just leave our kids there without having it set up with Mindy and Brian first, but he had already figured that all out. Everyone knew what was happening except me. :)  We drove for a while and Paul made secret phone calls and met with strange men in parking lots who gave him folders and keys and it was very exciting!

We first went to a restaurant, that was quite fancy, but still fun to be silly at. We ate TONS of good seafood and left very full and satisfied.

Then we got to our beach house and had so much fun, picking our bedroom, and trying out the telescope, and having the best time. Ten years has been good to us. The kids slept over with the Newells and we stayed the night.

Before we went to bed, I realized we hadn't brought the milk inside from the car yet (we bought breakfast stuff for the morning after our fancy dinner). I quick ran outside and down the stairs to the car to get the milk, and then Paul came out onto the balcony and shouted that he had found it on the patio. So I went back upstairs, to find Paul asking for the keys. He wanted the house keys, but all I had were the car keys. After trying to break in through several windows and having Paul scale up the side of the house to the 3rd story and try that patio door... We realized we were locked out. The door handles turn on the inside even when they are locked, so if they are shut at all they will be locked.  We had no phones, no house keys, no shoes, and very little clothing. Paul was only in his underwear, and I was wearing his basketball shorts and a tank top... Too much information? I just wanted to paint the picture. We decided we had to drive to a phone and call the rental company to see if they had an extra key. Paul took the basketball shorts, and found a sweatshirt in his car. I covered up as much as I could, and we drove to a gas station. Also, our car was on empty. Of course it was. He called the guy and met us back at the beach house (which we couldn't initially find - GPS on our phones helped us get there the first time). It was crazy. I sat in the car while Paul announced to the key guy that I couldn't come out because I was naked... Great. :) After that we each kept a set of keys with us at all times. And put on more clothes.
Part 2 coming soon...

6 comments:

Mom said...

That was the FUNNIEST turn of events!!!

Grandma said...

How funny, an anniversary to remember!

Unknown said...

This is so funny! What a great memory!

Stacy said...

You two give new meaning to "never a dull moment". Too funny! I'm glad you were able to get the keys though. Can't wait till part two. :)

Anonymous said...

❤️

Mom said...

Okay, now Honey, we're all DYING for Part 2!! Spend the dollar!