Sunday, August 18, 2019

random pics

Getting surprise cookie cutters in the mail might be my favorite thing, ever. So fun. Thanks dad!

Matix and Hawken were invited to join some other scout troops from the area to place flags at each grave stone in the veterans cemetery on Memorial Day. It was a big job, but they did well.

Solace is the king of repurposing educational materials (or anything else for that matter) into toys. These base ten blocks are now building blocks for the day.

Matix and Hawken are both too light to keep the lawnmower running alone, so they have sit together to get it done. So funny.

Matix found a HUGE chrysalis in the woods. In real life, you could see the wings inside beginning to form.

Our sweet snuggle kitty Sunshine loves to cuddle and even get his belly rubbed. I've never met a more snuggly kitty.

Lullaby built me out of these little plastic building blocks, and then she built Paul. Aren't we lovely?

We took the kids to see the new live-action Aladdin movie, and loved it! We always make a game of not telling them when we're going to the theater and then surprising them at some point when we get there. So fun.

Paul has the patience of a saint and loves to teach the kids, individually, skills. Here and there he sets aside some task to do together with one of the kids, like fixing a flat tire on a bike.  It's awesome to watch.

One of our biggest avocado trees had some weird plastic thing near the base of the trunk, and Hawken discovered that it was actually the black plastic planter that it was likely left in. The roots grew through the bottom and it became an enormous tree! It's 40 feet high, Paul estimates. Everything grows here like crazy!

Our yard is so beautiful. We love it. But since everything grows so easily here, it's plain to see that the jungle would take back over if we let it. We cut back a 2 by 5 foot section of anthurium that took over part of the grass in just a number of months. 

In this one picture you can see a coconut tree (not bearing fruit yet), starfruit, orange-lemon, mango, guava, and avocado... I love it.

More yard pictures because I love it here. 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my goodness! Each one of these amazing pictures deserves its own comment! The Memorial Day Scout activity was so meaningful. I love that the big boys had the opportunity to do that.

The lawnmower is priceless! I love that the kids have actual real work they can do to help at home. You were about that age when you started driving our lawn mower, but I don't remember you actually cutting grass. I should have taken that step forward!

Paul saving jobs to do with the kids is so great! Faster and easier to do it alone and on his own time frame, but SO MUCH BETTER to use it as an opportunity to be with one of the kids and 1. teach them something, 2. Bond with them, 3. create special memories, and 4. MORE! Louie and I have lots of special memories of our parents showing us how to do so many things.

I can tell how much you love your surroundings! I am so glad for you!