Friday, January 6, 2012

catch up - Hawken's party

On December 10th (our last Saturday before we moved), we had Hawken's 2nd birthday party!!!!
He requested a "cars and candy" themed party. Turns out, that is pretty easy to do. With "Cars 2" memorabilia everywhere, I got lots of fun things, my favorite find were these juicy juice boxes with different characters on the side. The kids noticed them right away. So fun. (Matix lined them all up for the picture)

We had it outside at Salvadore park in Coral Gables. It is the same park we had Matix's party in just a few months ago. Having a party at a park is GREAT. The built in entertainment was wonderful!

Hawken had tons of friends come. Lullaby stayed with Paul most of the time. Matix ran laps around the park with other Maddox. Hawken bounced from one thing to the next and was SO excited to finally have HIS party.

We played a few games. Racing the cars down the slide was one of the games. Race a car, then slide down, then get a prize. A very 2 year old appropriate game. :) Then Hawken wanted his friends to draw him pictures of cars, so we said for each of them to color a picture of a car for Hawken and in exchange, he would give them prizes. Perfect, right? Then the last game happened spontaneously because I had gone a little overboard on the prizes (more candy), so I scattered it all out on the ground and told the kids they all had to be speedy race car drivers and pick up all the candy. They each got extra loot bags and went for it. Each kid left with TONS of candy, which was the idea. I'm glad they had fun.

I think this is the only semi-decent picture I got of Matix the whole day. He was SO busy at the park, I couldn't keep up. But he was there, see? :)

We had cupcake decorating, as usual, and it perfectly fit the candy part of the candy and cars birthday party theme that Hawken had asked for. The kiddos were in heaven (all the parents had been forewarned that this was going to be a candy filled event, don't worry). I love this first picture. Can you tell how much this little guy loved it?

Paul made the fruit bouquet, didn't he do great?! I love it. It got devoured, despite the ridiculous amount of candy everywhere. :)

Then it was time to sing to Hawken. He was so excited. (Since then, I have posted the video to youtube, and he requests, "Mommy, me see happy bird-day to Hawken, happy bird-day to MEEEEEE! song?" He loves it.) For the cake, I made a race track in the shape of the number 2. Carla Velosa crashed, and Mater is towing her away, and Lightning McQueen is winning the race. Hawken thought it was great.

Saying good bye to his wonderful friends. In the first picture he is saying good bye to Alex, then in the second picture he is saying good bye to other Maddox.

Family picture, of course. Lullaby was there, I promise, she was just well hidden. :)

Hawken was completely spoiled by his friends. We didn't open them at the party, partly because I think it's awkward for the people who didn't bring anything (like I had asked them not to, but some people did anyway), and partly because there were plenty of kids at the park who were not part of our party and I didn't want them to feel bad, but MOSTLY, I wanted Hawken to take a nap first before the new toy hoarding began. :) He was so happy with all his gifts. His friends really thought about him and gave him things he really loves. Thank you to everyone who came to the party, and thank you to those of you who also brought gifts, it was so nice of you. :) Hawken had a great day.

4 comments:

Mom said...

What a nice party! I love all your ideas for parties. Such great age-appropriate activities. You can tell all the kids had fun.

The Castros said...

Im so glad that we were able to be there to celebrate Hawkens 2nd birthday. It was such a great time for all the kids. You did such a great job! He is so lucky to have a mom like you.

The Fredericks said...

So cute! You really are such fun parents I love it. Happy happy birthday handsome!

Mom said...

The video was really cute too. I couldn't open it the first time I saw this post, but today it opened. He took the candles and song so seriously. He's TWO now, Mommy!