Monday, February 7, 2011

Miami History Museum

Miami has TONS of free kid events and activities to do all year long. Since we have been here, we have tried out some of the free stuff. Every 2nd Saturday of the month the Miami history museum is open (and free) for family fun days. I was thinking a history museum might be too old for the boys to really enjoy, but it was free, so I thought there would be no harm in trying it out.
The museum had a cowboy, farmer, and agriculture theme. I thought it was so funny because that sort of represents all the boys' grandpas.

First we found the Audubon birds, which is what my dad named the land he is subdividing after. He is also an artist and admires the drawing of birds done in this specific collection. Matix was all for posing with the birds in the background. I love that he is at the age of posing when I ask him to, and sometimes even when I don't.

Next grandpa is Paul's dad, Lee. He loves cowboys and westerns and even wears cowboys boots. :) There were pictures of cowboys, and this cutout of one that Matix tried to pose like. Actually, he did this all by himself after thoroughly inspecting where the man's hands were. So funny. He walked over by the cutout, attempted to put his hands in his belt loops, and said, "picher me mommy! hands pants, cowboy matix!" Then later he made me do the same thing, but I am not sharing that lovely picture. :)

Then we got to the area that had farming things. My stepdad, Louie, is a farmer. He has tons of land, grows crops, raises some animals and chickens.
So you see, all the grandpas were accounted for. Funny huh. :)

The boys had fun exploring and trying everything out. It was very family and kid centered and they were allowed to do pretty much anything they wanted to do. There were coloring centers, puzzles, activities, dress-up... FUN!
The boys were very well behaved and had tons of fun. This was last month, and hopefully they can go again this Saturday with Stacy. I love for them to have fun days like this.

3 comments:

J.B. said...

This looks like so much fun. I LOVE Matix's cowboy picture.

Mom said...

What great experiences. Not just the obvious stuff they learn about while there, but the incidental learning about how to go places, how to behave, etc.

The Fredericks said...

what a blast-I love that there is a pic of you in there.