Monday, February 7, 2011

Miami Zoo

There are a few playgroups here that we have gone with (not after the cyst thing, but before that). One day we went to the zoo. I am not a huge fan of big animals in small cages, or unfamiliar environments when compared to the natural habitat. Like the Racine Wisconsin zoo, where I grew up, seeing giraffes in the snow just isn't right. BUT, the boys have never been to a real zoo, and I wanted to check it out. Well, the Miami zoo is AMAZING. It is huge, and the weather here is nice for the animals. It meets my zoo standards, I guess. :)

We went with about 20 other moms and their kiddos. I wish I got a group shot. Plus, since so many of them had annual passes (with a free buddy pass), we all got in for free, BONUS! :) The boys had fun playing on all the playgrounds and fake animals.

They also have 4 splash pads there, which are open year round. Yay Miami weather! The boys got back to their Dominican roots, and played in their diapers. Since this picture was taken, Matix has been potty trained, so it looks silly to me seeing him in diapers again. Cute babies.

All was good until Hawken got sprayed in his face. He was startled and NOT excited about the water anymore. So we cuddled while Matix ran around like a mad man.

A few of the exhibits had glass in between the animals/fish and the viewers, so you could get right up close to the animals and watch what they were doing. It was very entertaining for the boys.

This little cuckoo bird was especially curious about Hawken and flew up to the ledge where he was watching. The bird watched Hawken as much as Hawken was watching the bird. Very funny in person.

Here is Matix being a bug. :) Of course he is. Whenever he says bug, it is followed with yuck. "bug, YUCK!" He always says it, although he will usually then proceed to pick it up, or play with it. Obviously my warning didn't really stick, even though the words did. :)

Before we left, we fed the giraffes. I have never done this before, and it was pretty cool. Hawken, was terrified and after getting one glimpse of those massive animals, he ran back down the ramp and waited with some friends. Matix ran right up to them, grabbed some lettuce and went to town. He is such an animal lover.
All in all, I give the zoo 5 stars. It was very fun, and we will certainly be going again.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I especially loved the picture of Hawken when he got spayed. So unhappy, So expressive.

Tracy Cochran said...

okay girl friend whn the heck are we going to talk? I'm dying here. now that we are both preggo (best thing ever) I want to hear all about you and want to talk baby with you. everytime I get on skype and your not on I want to throw the computer!