Wednesday, September 23, 2015

the toe tragedy

On our second day in Wisconsin, Solace fell off of a chair onto the floor, and the chair tipped over and landed on top of his toe, almost severing the tip. It was only holding on by a tiny flap of skin in-between the big toe and the second toe. He screamed SO loud. It was the saddest thing ever. There was blood everywhere, so we weren't sure at first what exactly was hurt, or if there were any broken bones. Thankfully not! What a nightmare.
At the E.R. I pranked my mom (who was nicely entertaining the big kids in the waiting area) and told the nurse to tell her that the amputation went well. She laughed and knew it was a joke right away, but the nurse thought I was a weirdo. :) At least my mom gets my sense of humor.  Sully had to get 9 stitches, some THROUGH his toenail, which was awful! And I had to keep it clean and wrapped and redressed each day… It was a LOT of work for a vacation. His first day, I held him ALL day so he wouldn't rip any of the stitches, but after that Paul said it was okay for him to walk around, especially if he was willing to. Poor guy!
It's all healed up now and 3 toe nails have fallen off (big toe, second, and third) and regrown, and although his second toe still has a tiny line where the massive laceration was, it looks GREAT. I am so happy that kids heal so well!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

That looks so much worse than when I saw it. Thank goodness! Poor little guy. Of course Matix and Lullaby don't look to concerned about it. :) I'm glad everything is healed and back to normal.

Mom said...

It was SO SCARY! That drive to the ER was awful! (And yes, you are STILL a SNOT for pranking your mother!!!!!)

Grandma said...

That must have really hurt, glad he is doing better
Good times on the farm!! A farm is fun and a very big learning experience.