So, a few months ago in church I was called to be the Young Women's President... Young Women's is an amazing program that our church puts together to teach and guide young women (ages 12-18) to realize and reach their divine potential. It focuses on the girls ability to live virtuous and exemplary lives in order to influence the world for good. I am really excited to be a part of the program, especially since when I was that age I was not a part of any such program.
I am really grateful to be a member of a church that supports it's youth in this and many other ways. Another thing my church has available to the youth is Seminary. It is a program the youth (boys and girls) have the opportunity to attend during their high school years just before their regular school starts. Seminary is for the youth to study the scriptures and learn more about important gospel truths.
I was also not a part of this program when I was that age, but recently I had the chance to go with Stacy (she is a Seminary teacher) to one of her classes.
It was really cool. I hope these kids understand how lucky they are to have this program available to them. They are learning about things that will help to shape their lives and develop their testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel. I hope when Matix is old enough, he will want to go to Seminary... partly for the selfish reason that I want to hear about more of the lessons than just this one :) and partly because I am really impressed with the material presented and the lengths that the program directors, teachers and leaders have gone to, to make it as wonderful as it is... and I want Matix to learn and be steadfast in what he believes.
Anyway, I am just so glad I am able to experience these things now, even if I didn't get a chance earlier. :)
3 comments:
You're right, seminary is a blessing- maybe I didn't realize how much so when I was in high school and waking up before the sun every morning to go, but looking back it really was. I love your perspective, I just assumed you had grown up in the church until your talk!
Wow what an awesome calling! I bet you're so good at it and your girls love you! I agree, seminary is so important to youth! I admit though, I haaaaaated getting up so early in the morning for seminary when I was that age. But, I had a mom who was the young womens president during those years, and she made me go....every single day. Now that I look back on it, I'm really glad that she forced me to go even though I didn't want to. I ended up learning so much! I actually had one teacher that I learned more about the gospel than I have anywhere else, and I still remember her teachings today! I wouldn't trade my seminary experience for anything. Don't worry, with a mom like you I'm sure Matix will value seminary like you!
I have to agree with the other two... I did not appreciate seminary when I was there. It's sad because it really is a great opportunity to learn the gospel.
Post a Comment