So, Matix and I are back in the states! Hooray hooray! Long trip, but worth it! :) BUT, We miss Paul like crazy... He has to stay in Dominica until the middle of December when his tests are finished for the semester. :( But then he will join us here in Arizona! :) YAY!
I just posted a few things from our last couple days in Dominica, so make sure you scroll down to read them too. Our internet went out on Saturday and got me a little backed up on posting, then we spent all day coming here and of course I took a million more pictures, thus getting me very behind in posting on the blog. Sorry! :)
So on Tuesday, Dominican independence day, Matix and I started our long journey back to Arizona. Of course the night before, in preparation for independence day, and to celebrate another mini exam done, EVERY person except our family was out partying! There was music playing SUPER loudly and people out in the streets until 3 in the morning! Of course we had to get up and out the door by 4:30 am, NO THANK YOU! :)
Our friend Dave gave us a ride to the airport since he is one of the few students here who has their own car. He is awesome, thanks Dave!! :)
It is a long drive and our first flight was going to San Juan, Puerto Rico at 7am. The drive was beautiful though and we got to watch the sun come up. I tried to take some pics of the silhouetted palm trees with the ocean and clouds in the background, but they came out a little fuzzy.
Matix got in some good Daddy time snuggles with Paul while we were waiting to get checked in.
This is our last picture of us as a family of 3... How weird is that?!
So, I said we were going to San Juan, right?! See this face on Matix?
This is his version of my "What do you mean we are in Antigua???!!!!" face... Yes, that is right, we went to Antigua, NOT Puerto Rico! After talking with the flight attendant, she explained that although I DID have a "direct flight" to San Juan, we were just making a "short stop" in Antigua, and that since it is short, it counts as a "direct flight" still! ??? What?! This is the airplane.... Really small and noisy. We sat next to the propellers.
So, we got off, put the stroller together, went through the airport in Antigua, their customs, security, took apart the stroller, and finally went back onto the airplane... they said it was a new plane, but it was the ONLY one there... :)
The flight to Puerto Rico (for real) was fine. It took longer than I thought it would, but we made it. :) Matix fell asleep on my lap/belly for a while (hooray hooray!) and woke up happy, even though he only had a 45 minute nap...
Is this really my child? Happy after a SHORT nap?! Matix, you're such a good boy!
In Puerto Rico, we had to go and get our checked bag and stroller from baggage claim Matix REALLY liked the baggage carousel and was very happy chasing bags and getting his hands completely black from touching everything. This made it possible for me to get the stroller put together and loaded up with our carry-on and diaper bag, while I wore the checked bag like a pack mule...
Matix ended up NOT being a big fan of going through security, because they often made him walk through by himself. I was right there if course, but this is his "not THIS again mom!" face. Poor little guy. :)
We had to wait for a while, but we had fun watching the planes and trucks... Do I have a little boy or what? :)

Matix got a little sleepy while waiting for the airplane to go to Dallas, Texas... If you know Matix, you know he doesn't slow down, unless he is REALLY tired... So this is an unusual sight. :)

Here is a short video of how bad it got.
This is after we got on the plane... trying to play, but really needing to sleep. :)
This flight was the hardest one for Matix. We had been flying all morning and of course, this was a 4 and 1/2 hour flight. YUCK! He slept on and off, had 2 blow out diapers, and was pretty fussy in between happy Matix moments. He sat mostly like this on my lap facing me, I just didn't really realize I had not very much lap left. :) Here he is flirting with the lady next to us.

When we got to Dallas, our stroller was not there. :( Of course! They sent it to baggage rather than the gate, so we had to go get it and come back in AGAIN through the dreaded security line. We only had a 45 minute window, and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. Even I was a little grouchy at this time. :) After getting through security and back to the terminal, our flight was already boarding! We still got dinner from Wendy's :) YUM! and made it on the plane.
Matix slept the whole 2 and 1/2 hours back to Phoenix, but when he woke up he was NOT happy.
It was 9pm Dominica time and we had been traveling ALL day.
His long awaited reunion with Grandma was less than climactic. He was ready for bed! :)
Of course since then, the Grandma/Matix love affair has resumed. He is just as in love with her as the day we left for the island. :)
This is Jessie the pack mule... This is what I looked like (plus Matix in the stroller) when we had to carry all our bags. Notice Matix back in the arms of his Grandma. :)
9 comments:
I enjoyed the update. Paul looked sad to see his family leave. We are sure glad you made it okay. I had to be on the hard side with a cute little boy and expecting another one. Love all of you Grandma
Yeah back in states! Let us know if you need anything while getting ready for baby #2, does he have a name yet?
I'm glad you and matix made it safe!! sounds like you're gonna have jet lag for a few days! sheesh! enjoy your time here!
Welcome back! Ugh, I can't imagine flying all day pregnant with a toddler. You guys looked like you did amazingly well. I once had to fly with Emma and Eli for 2 hours and I thought I was going to die. Of course Emma kept throwing up on me! :-) Can't wait to see you.
I'm glad you made it back safely, but... WE MISS YOU!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! You're back!!! Even if it isn't for very long!!! I can't wait to see you. I'm glad you made it safely! :) Give me a call when you have a chance! :)
What a trip! But I'm glad we get to see each other soon.
he has such a fun life as a world traveler! his eyes are gorgeous and I'm so happy that the trip went well :)
Way to go with such a long day of flying, such a little one, and being so pregnant! I would be a complete wreck! Glad it wasn't too bad of a trip and you're here for such a wonderful time- Christmas and baby!!!
Post a Comment