Sunday, February 6, 2011

testimony

Today at my church was a day called "Fast and Testimony" meeting, rather than the regular sacrament meeting in which there are usually only 2 or 3 speakers. On fast and testimony days, anyone who wants to, can get up and talk, give their testimony, or relate a story to the congregation. I'm not a horrible public speaker, but I'm not very good at it either. I always just assume that the other people who do get up, must have something far better to say than I do anyway. Plus, I never really get a strong urge to go up there... Well, today, toward the end of the meeting, I did have an urge to go and say something, but I also felt like crap and didn't think I should walk all the way up there, just to puke and turn around. :) SO... This is what I felt like I should say:

As I sat in the pew with my husband on my right, my mother in law on my left, I watched my little boys snuggling and giggling to each other as they lay on the floor, trying hard not to fall asleep. I kept thinking about how grateful I am that I was given the chance to be a mom. To help raise such wonderful little people. To see them grow. To teach them. To learn from them. Families are so important, and I am happy to be a part of so many great ones. I learned lots of things growing up, about who I wanted to be, and who I didn't want to be, how I wanted to raise my kids and how I didn't want to raise them. Having the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life has been an amazing addition to my thoughts and feelings on raising children. Teaching them through my example, and by the example Jesus has set for us, is an integral part of our daily life. I am forever grateful to my parents for raising me to think for myself, to be open to new things, teachings, and ways of life. I am grateful to the LDS missionaries who taught me the gospel. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for this life, trials and all. I know I will do whatever I can do to be the best parent I know how to be, and I hope that my kids will do the same. I know that teaching my children the gospel of Jesus Christ is one of the most important things I can do as a parent, because I know that the gospel is true.

That's it. :) Just felt like I should share.

8 comments:

Josh and Kelly said...

That's beautiful Jessie! Hope you are feeling well- morning sickness? It is always come out so much better written down then when you get up there and your mind starts racing!

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

Jesse - How touching and true your testimony is! Thank you for posting that. I love how simple, to the point it is, and how heartfelt it is. :) (Star)

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

bryce and paige said...

So sweet Jessie. Thanks so much for expressing your feelings and thoughts.

Mom said...

I'm very proud of the life you've chosen. My religion encourages me to be open to your religion, and the more I learn about it, the more I like it. And I tell that to everyone.

Beach Borchardts said...

loooooooooove this-you bore my testimony!! What a wonderful mother you are! Your little boys are lucky!!! Thanks for your testimony and your example! xoxo cathy

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful testimony. You have given many people inspiration. Thanks for sharing! You are a wonderful mother and wife
Love you,

Jevne's said...

Amen.