Monday, November 21, 2011

worst.day.ever.

As the title reads, today was the WORST DAY EVER. It was the worst in too many ways to count. It was bad in the morning when Paul and I argued over if he should take a shower (stupid fight, we made up after a couple minutes, don't worry). Then in the late morning, Lullaby got up early from her nap #1 (no fun), then we walked to the Goodwill store. Hawken threw a HUGE fit when we had to leave... Crying, limp noodle, tantrum... Lovely. I was already tired, so I opted to buy pizza for lunch. I was TRYING to make it easier on myself, but then their "hot and ready" pizzas weren't hot OR ready. We had to wait 10 minutes, which to toddlers may as well have been a few hours. The boys were cranky, and ready for bed. We finally got our pizza, got home and ate it. During that time the baby woke back up and needed to be held, and rocked, and diaper changed (twice), and fed AGAIN... During this time I was barking orders to the boys to get their under pants off and pull-ups on for naps and SOMEHOW, Hawken got out of his bed and fell weird on his leg. When he tried to stand up, he fell again because he couldn't put any weight on it. He still wanted to take his nap, so we all napped (this was the ONLY happy part of the day at this point). I was praying that when he woke up he would feel better and maybe it was just a sprain, but no. Of course not. Not today, the worst day ever. Today, it had to be something worse, and it was. We went to the ER at the children's hospital which thankfully is very close to our house. After being there just over 5 hours, we found out that in fact Hawken BROKE HIS LEG!! Crap. It is a small fracture on his right leg, they called it a "toddler fracture" and said it was a pretty common break for kids his age. It won't affect his growth and shouldn't re-break in the future.

He had x-rays done, picked the color for his cast (yellow) and got another x-ray after that to make sure it was set well. He can technically walk in it, but he is afraid to put pressure on it. When we were finally released and I told Matix to put down the Wii (apparently, he knows how to play the Wii, although we don't have one at home), he RAN FROM ME! What?! Lullaby was crying and wanting to be nursed in public (for what would have been the 3rd time that day) again, Hawken was in a general state of distress, but I had to run after Matix who was long gone and around a corner in a very busy and confusing hospital. FANTASTIC! I found him right away, some nurses had stopped him. He said he wanted to stay at the hospital, and at that point I thought about it... Hmmm.... Maybe only 2 kids would be better? :) Just kidding, but I was EXHAUSTED. I dragged him back to where my other 2 crying children were waiting ever so impatiently.

I somehow managed to get all 3 to the car. Then I got home, brought in our screaming baby, gave her to Paul to hold until I got the others. He of course, was in the SHOWER... (remember our fight this morning was about the shower...) Anyway, I got Hawken and Matix in from the car, and Matix informed me that HIS leg was now broken too. So Paul (having more energy and strength to deal with this and all the other ridiculousness that comes out of these situations with silly children), wrapped up his leg in a "cast" of toilet paper. Very clever, and it fooled Matix. This was the another of the good moments today.
The boys are now sleeping and I am basking in the silence and peace... FINALLY. I am soooooo tired. Today was the kind of day that I don't want to remember until I am MUCH older and wiser and have something good to get out of it. Right now, I just want to have my little pity party. Today was the worst day ever.

7 comments:

Josh and Kelly said...

I'm sorry Jessie, that doesn't sound fun. Doesn't it feel good to get it out? You are a super mom and your kids are so lucky to have you, and I am grateful for your friendship and example! That really stinks about Hawken, but I am sure he will be running around on that thing in no time!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. Sometime we get trials that are not fun at all.We send our love and hugs to all of you. Tell Paul I said in health care he needs to shower every day for many reasons!! Hawken does not look to worried in his last picture. Cute kids!

Mom said...

I want to rush to you and help you! I feel so bad I didn't even know about it until today. I was so tired last night I didn't even bring in the computer from the car! Kiss all your babies for me and get Paul to give you a nice long hug for me. (Happy birthday to Paul, too!!

Michelle said...

Oh man!! There are no words. Sorry that it was such a terrible day, but I am sure that yesterday made up for it. You have such a beautiful, wonderful and amazing family. It's good to experience a crazy day every now and then...it helps us appreciate the good days more! :) Love you, Jess!

The Miller Family said...

So sorry Jess for your bad day. I feel for you. You are such an amazing mom and your children are so lucky to have such a fun, patient and living mom. You are also lucky, those boys are beyond perfect and your sweet little girl is precious. When life seems overwhelming it is hard to remember the days that are smooth and easy :) miss you guys!

The Fredericks said...

Dang it-- I hate that-- I would say I know how you feel but you are right-- WORST DAY EVER! Emmy is testing her boundaries right now too- nooo thank you- I'm so sorry though-- awful. I haven't seen a cuter little castee though- ever.

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

All I have to say is WOW! You are right. Worst day ever! You are an amazing mom and do an awesome job! Hawken sure is cute with that cast on though! Hope it heals quickly and things get back to normal. :)