Friday, May 20, 2011

giving in?

Hawken talks. A lot. When he is awake he is either eating or talking. There is pretty much nothing else he loves to do more. He has recently discovered the power of "please" and now I find myself in a pickle... I can't tell if I am giving in or positively reinforcing him for using it. He will ask for something (usually something to eat, of course), and I am usually doing something else (aren't children good at waiting until you're busy to need something?) so I tell him, "wait just a minute". Then he follows me around saying "tease? tease? tease?" (his own personal version of "please") in the cutest, sweetest, but not so patient voice. So, he will wait the minute (asking please the whole time), and then I will give it to him. I used to say "thank you for saying please, that it so nice!" trying to get him to say that instead of "more! more!" or something else less polite than "please"... but now I don't know what to say. How do you explain to an almost 1 and 1/2 year old to only say something once and then be quiet? And how do I resist such a sweet little thing who is asking with such nice words? Really it wouldn't be a problem if he only said it a few times, but this little guy will really not stop until he gets what he is asking for and hearing "tease?" a million times in a row is head-ache worthy. :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds like he's ready for phase two. Just introduce the concept of patience Tell him he can only say it until you respond and promise to get it for him. Then the first few times, remind him of the new skill and reward the waiting, instead of the please, which is obviously now established. It's so fun watching them develop!

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

I'm still working on how to get Kenley to ask for something only once, and she is 5! :)

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

I started the patience phase with Tanner around 20 months I believe. He used to say "peas, peas, peas" until I was ready to scream! It took him about 4-5 months but he gets it now. I say ok I'll get it be patient, and he usually waits. Good Luck!