Saturday, May 28, 2011

homemade blocks

Back when I was in Dominica, I started thinking of all these crafts and projects I wanted to make, but of course, didn't have the supplies for. Bummer. I emailed Lee (Paul's dad) about one of them, and asked him to cut me some blocks so that when I got there to Arizona in December, that I could drive them out with the rest of our stuff and FINALLY do this block idea... He agreed. Hooray! He made me a million of them.

I added brown paint to all the edges, and then traced the blocks on pieces of scrap booking paper. I cut each square slightly smaller than the block and glued it on with mod podge (my new favorite medium).
This particular set I made, was for little miss Penelope Jane (love her name!) who is Hawken's future wife, FYI. I tried to find cute lettering in the fonts I have and was then going to print them, but I couldn't find anything that I really liked, so I lettered it myself. It turned out mostly how I wanted it to. Then I roughed up the edges with a little more brown paint and sand paper. Perfect.

I have since made some blocks for the boys and have many other ideas on the list already... Lee, I may be emailing you again soon. :) The only thing I have changed in my process is rather than painting the edges brown (or any other color) first, I save that for last and just do it carefully. I think it makes them look more polished. But if you're going for a rougher look, more shabby sheek, then paint it first. I can't wait until we have a house that I can have a crafty room in. :) That would be great.

4 comments:

Mom said...

They turned out so cute! You've been doing a lot of crafting lately, too. Monsters, quiet books cookie pops! Lots of ideas!

shanda said...

So Bennett loves playing with Ty's phone and has figured out how to unlock it and start pushing buttons... Well, this morning he was playing with it as usual and I decided to make sure he wasn't shopping online with our credit card, but he wasn't. He was just looking at your blog! Haha! Somehow, he navigated himself straight to the site and was looking at your pictures. =) Sweet kid!!

coxlopes said...

Wow Martha - I mean Jessie - I had no idea you were this crafty :) I love it - hopefully with some of my down time I can join in the crafty-ness :) super cute idea!
- Melissa

Heidi, Dallin, and Jacob said...

They turned out so cute! I want to try making some!

You can also cut a block of wood into square, rectangle, and triangle shapes and a thick dowel into smaller pieces to use as a wooden blocks set. No finishing needed and it provides hours of entertainment! We made some for Jacob for his birthday and they've been well-loved by him and other kids who have come to our house.