Wednesday, May 30, 2012

chalk paint

This is one of the best things to do when you don’t have chalk. I did this before, but never with my kiddos. Hawken had asked to do some painting – a very messy and parent involved activity. I needed to start making dinner and wanted the boys to stay outside… Let’s make chalk paint and stay outside. Problem solved!  The way I make it is (maybe there are actual proportions out there somewhere, but I just wing it) take a bunch of cups or in my case a muffin tin (only one dish to clean later), fill it about 1/3 of the way with cornstarch and at least another 1/3 of the cup with water, then add a few drops of food coloring to each, stir and you have sidewalk PAINT! Super fun, I know. You can mess around with how much you use of the water and cornstarch.

When it first is painted it looks wet, like paint then a few seconds later it is lighter in color and dried and looks like chalk. The boys were mesmerized. It's nice because there isn't enough food coloring to stain anything, and it's all non-toxic since it's made out of food items, so you don't have to worry about curious babies getting too close. :)

We have done this a couple times since this first day and each time they love it. I am happy because it takes me only a few seconds to get it prepared and then it keep s them busy for a pretty long time.

Lullaby of course wanted in on the action, but settled for inching her way to the dirt and getting messy there.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

SO CUTE, SO FUN!

Heidi, Dallin, and Jacob said...

Looks like fun! We will have to try it. Your pictures with your new camera are looking great!

Mom said...

What a great way to make paint, quick and cheap too! Way more fun than a bucket of water and paint brush!

Josh and Kelly said...

This is brilliant, thanks for the idea! It really washes off the sidewalk?

The Castros said...

Awesome idea! Now if only I had a driveway to paint on.