Monday, May 7, 2012

Easter eggs!

A few days before Easter, we had some friends over to dye eggs. It was a lot more work than I thought boiling all the eggs... (I made 5 dozen) I followed a recipe for "the best hard boiled eggs". I had honestly never made hard boiled eggs before, so I thought I better follow some directions, just in case. Start with cold water, only 1 layer of eggs at the bottom of the pot, bring to a rolling boil, cover, remove from heat for exactly 12 minutes, run under cold water and dry each egg... Quite the process. But none of my eggs cracked and they were all easy to peel, so I guess it was worth it? :)  Hawken sampling the food. Where there is food, there is Hawken.

Lullaby got in on the taste testing too. She loves "eating" real food. She mostly just gums it up and smiles a lot. She loves being part of whatever we are doing.

I had 6 glasses with each of the colors (plus a little vinegar to make it stick!), crayons, cars tattoos (supposed to be for the eggs, although the boys tattooed themselves), and lots of eggs.  The kids had fun and went right to town. Hawken was making green eggs like a mad man. I don't think he realized he could use other colors too. :)

Carson working very hard on his masterpiece.

After a few madhouse minutes of dye mixed with 6 boys under the age of 4, and 3 girls under the age of 2... They all went outside. :) Actually, just the boys went out. They played very nicely together, while the moms stayed inside and made a few eggs of our own, talked and the little girlies played too.

Meet Petal, and her mommy Charla. Is Petal the cutest little thing you have ever seen?? This is Dries' baby sister.  She is the tiniest little peanut!

Lullaby and her favorite friend Allie. 

 All six boys playing so nicely together. Harrison, Dries, Hawken, Matix, Graham, and Carson... Wow.

Tracy, Graham and Harrison had to leave early. Bummer. Graham is the sweetest little boy.

I think Matix only made a couple eggs, he was having WAY too much fun with all his friends. We all ended up inside in the playroom.  It was a complete wreck by the end of the day, which means everyone had a blast. :) Hooray!

The finished products = very cute. I had so much fun with this project. This was our first time doing this with the kids. I wish Paul could have been there, but thankfully, I take tons of pictures, so he really didn't miss out on much.

2 comments:

The Fredericks said...

You are amazing!! I'm so happy that the instructions worked- I ll have to try it- you just never know with mine- but I make them often enough that the girls think they are a food group by themselves... The kids are so cute- and it looks like a partaay! Did you see the kool aid egg dye on pinterest? Check it out xo!

Mom said...

Brings back so many memories!! Remember? We got pretty fancy with our eggs there for a few years!