Lullaby is going through a VERY clumsy stage, and it's really bad. She hasn't always been like this, and I'm hoping she'll grow out of it soon, or her chin might be permanently hurt. Before Thanksgiving, Lullaby fell while standing on the stroller, broke her chin open and got three stitches. It was scary, and bloody, but it started healing, and was feeling really good, up until two Fridays ago. Here is what it looked like at the end of November, almost completely healed up. Yay!
Then on the 12th, she was pushing the bench out at our kitchen table, getting ready to sit down, and somehow slipped. The bench got pushed forward and she banged her chin, AGAIN. I didn't see it happen completely, since I was turned around, but I was in the kitchen with her when it happened and got to her right away. She had been eating crackers, and when she banged her chin, she bit the inside of her lips and cheeks and there was TONS of blood everywhere. Then she started spitting out crackers, which looked like teeth, and I couldn't tell the difference. It was very scary. She also split her chin back open. This happened in the middle of PRESCHOOL, so I had to call the parents to have them come pick up their kids early, since I knew I wouldn't be able to watch them while I was taking care of Lullaby and possibly bringing her BACK to the E.R., let alone actually teaching them anything... This is the picture that I text to Paul and told him we were on our way to the E.R.
Under her chin had started pooling with blood. It looked like she swallowed a golf ball and pushed it down underneath her tongue. Her cheeks started to swell and I was nervous about everything that was happening. Again, this was from falling no more than two feet and banging her chin on the table, or the bench, maybe both, but she wasn't standing on the bench, so it wasn't very far to fall. Paul got home from his night shift as I was getting ready to leave, and said we didn't need to go in. He took over and boy was I so so so thankful that he got there then. It was perfect timing. Lullaby calmed down and told us where she was hurting, and Paul patched up what he could and said we would just have to wait for her body to heal itself. Snuggling with Daddy after her (second) horrific ordeal.
We knew her teeth and jaw were fine because she was talking, and still eating. Later that day she ate apples too, so we knew that wasn't a problem. But the swelling took about a week to go down. Then her chin bruised up, and now that is even looking better. This is the day after at the ward Christmas party, where I had to retell the story to every other person who saw us, because she was barely recognizable and was talking like she had marbles in her mouth.
This was the Monday after, we went to Matix's school to have lunch with him. One little girl, Irene, who knows us pretty well now, asked her why she was making that scary face. :( Poor thing.
This was on Wednesday, a LOT better, but still her profile showed how low down her between the chin and neck area was. So sad.
This is what it looks like today, a week and 2 days afterward. Her chin split is healing back up again, and the bruising is now more green and yellow than black and blue. The inside of her mouth is completely healed with the exception of one small area on the inside of her lower lip. But going from raw hamburger looking mouth to one small bump, is amazing! This poor sweet baby girl of ours has been having rotten luck lately, but bodies are amazing, and so are prayers, and she is getting better fast.


3 comments:
Once the inside of the cheeks get crunched up, they swell and are hard to heal. I am glad she didn't have more trouble with that. That swelling under her chin was a LOT! Ouchie!
Poor lullaby!! That thing was huge, and poor mom for dealing with all that worry!
That looks horrible and that's after a week - WOW? Poor thing! Maybe we need to start telling Lullaby to be nice to her body like we do with Matix. What a brave little girl.
Post a Comment