Wednesday, October 30, 2013

alligator park

We went on a nature hike at a park in Sugarland.  It's where our church stake center is, so it's not too far from us.  When we got there we found out it was an alligator preserve... yikes! The kids had so much fun hunting for alligators. Every little stick in the water, or ripple of waves was CLOSELY inspected by the kids. We didn't end up seeing any alligators, but that's mostly because the lake was covered with an invasive species of plant that had taken over just in the last few months...

After a while on the bridges, we decided to walk around the lake on a little path. We didn't make it the whole way around because I was being eaten alive by the mosquitos and it was nearing dinner time.  We did find lots of tracks, deer, alligator, horse and something that looked like a dog (maybe a fox? maybe a dog?).

The stick obsession continues...

The kids also saw leaf cutter ants. It was really cool watching them move little bits of leaves here and there.

Then we left and picked up some free pizza on the way home. I got a bunch of "free mini murph" coupons at that Humane Society Fall Festival.  They are good forever, but I wanted to use them before I forgot about them. They turned out to be really cute. Each kid got to make their own pizza however they wanted it.  Fun dinner!

4 comments:

Mom said...

That WAS a very fun dinner. You can tell they loved making their own pizza.

Josh and Kelly said...

Those pizzas look cool, I might have to check those out. And I didn't know there were alligators in HOuston? You learn something new every day!

Stacy said...

I'm glad you didn't run into any alligators - they scare me after Florida. It looks like a neat place to hike around though. Making your own pizzas is always a hit, but even better when it's free. I love Lullaby's pumpkin shirt.

The Fredericks said...

the pizzas-- so fun!! and the pic of Paul in front and all the little kiddies in a line on the path-- favorite pic-