Hopefully it will give some perspective to those still on the island, those about to move there and anyone else who wants to know... :) Each day for the first 10 days of October I will answer a question from this list:


And... since today is October 1st, here is my first post.

Question #1: What did you miss most about home(the states)?
Well, I missed a lot of things. I missed my friends and family. I missed my house. I missed my dog. I missed my car. But, I mostly missed candy. Any kind really, but probably chocolate the most. There are tons of yummy foods and desserts on the island, but not like in the US. There is a new grocery store that opened in Picard, just after we left the island (of course), and they maybe have more of a selection than when I was there. But, while we lived there, and I was pregnant and craving chocolate on a daily basis, it just wasn't available. I missed being able to get into the car, drive to the grocery store and see this:

Particularly during this time of year when the Halloween candy came in... Aisles and aisles filled with this stuff. YUM! In Dominica, there really aren't that many choices, and those that are available either don't taste right, or are super expensive. It was really hard for me to maintain my weight there, partly because of the lack of candy and chocolate in my diet. So that's it. I missed food. :)

3 comments:
There is definitely an increase in availability but DEFTINITELY nothing like the candy isle at walmart before halloween! Still loving having IGA though and chocolate :o)
The IGA just didn't get done in time for you guys! Alas!
What a fun idea! And yes, the Halloween aisle just doesn't compare! And can you imagine all the chocolate our boys will get trick or treating?! I'm sure they'll share... ;)
Post a Comment