Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Santa: New poll

Paul and I have been discussing Santa a lot lately, and there are differing opinions around here. I think Santa is part of childhood, part of the magic and wonder of youth. Paul doesn't like the lying aspect, which I completely respect. Our boys are young, so we don't really have to chose right now. But what do you think? I put up a poll to the left of this post, at the top... To Santa or NOT to Santa... That it the question. :)

8 comments:

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

We had an interesting talk in church this last weekend on the symbolism of Christmas and how each symbol of Christmas (Santa, presents, cookies, etc.) can be viewed in a spiritual sense and related to the Gospel somehow. It was a really cool talk. I definitely think Santa is part of childhood and he inspires warm-fuzzy feelings and imagination in kids--I'm all for that :)

Mom said...

If you don't decide to do the whole Santa thing, you'll have a lot of explaining to do, and a lot of tears. My Dad didn't want to do it either, and I'm so glad my Mom convinced him otherwise. You might as well discuss the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny (E.B., remember?) at the same time. Santa loves children unconditionally. Good luck with this decision.

Ray, Star, Tanner, and Connor said...

Ray and I have discussed this too, its a hard choice, but I have to agree with you. Santa is part of childhood, magic, and wonder. We have decided to do Santa until Tanner is 8. That is when I was told, and we agreed that it shouldn't go much longer than that.
I have another friend that decided not to do Santa for her kids. Santa is instead a character. Like Mickey Mouse, or Sponge Bob. Santa is a character of Christmas and he is magic. You could always go that way too!

Norm and Cassi Beatty said...

This post makes me laugh as me and Norm had and identical conversation about this on Sunday. I'm all for Santa. We've compromised it by not going over board with everything. I think it's fun, breeds imagination in kids. Good luck deciding. You're in a little bit of a time crunch :-)

Debbi Lambert said...

Oh - I always read your blog - every day - but don't comment. You know, I respect Paul's opinion BUT I agree with Mom's reply. The whole Santa thing goes away too quickly as it is. I say, let them enjoy it for as long as they can. Have Paul watch "Miracle on 34th Street" again. It's worth the time. :o) Watch the OLD version from the 50's.....it's the very best. I think you can get it on Netflix or Zulu online. :o)

Sure miss you here....and so love seeing those baby boys grow and love life. You are amazing parents. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Santa is a wonderful part of Christmas. I think we need to center around Christ, but Santa is part of pretending that all kids need to do, like playing house, cowboy and Indians. Let them enjoy Santa and all the fun of Christmas, but you can still center around the real reason we celebrate Christmas, Jesus
Love to all of you

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

This is how we do it in our family! We do have Santa in our home and the kids get presents from Santa. The reason that Santa comes into our home is because Jesus wants to Celebrate Jesus' birthday. So we need to be GOOD (like Jesus and do things Jesus would want us to do) for Santa to bring presents. Then Santa gives 3 gift (1 big and 2 small) to the kids and we tell them its because of the 3 wise men and how they gave 3 gifts to Jesus on his Birthday! Then we give 3 gifts (1 big 2 small) from us! Thats how we do things at our house! When I finally asked my parents whether Santa was real I LOVED their response! Just because we can't see him it does not mean we can't feel the spirit of the season (just like Jesus!) So yes I would say Yes to Santa!

J.B. said...

I agree with all the magic comments, Santa is an important part of childhood. Also, I was recently discussing this issue with a friend who told me about a story explaining how there are many people in the world who don't accept Christ in their lives, but they will accept Santa, so he goes as a representative of Christ, bringing the spirit of love and giving (aka Jesus stuff) into all the homes in the world. I like thinking of him like that. He's like a missionary.