Paul's schedule this month has been a weird one. He gets 2 days off this MONTH, and has had a few over night shifts. His regular shifts are supposed to be only 12 hours, but with commuting time added in there, that means he leaves before the kids wake up and gets back home after they are all asleep. The couple of times he has gotten off early though, we feel like is a vacation! We eat meals together, read books together, get to go out grocery shopping together...
There are so many times at night that Paul and I are both completely exhausted from our days... His as a family practice doctor in a surgery rotation, where they expect him to know what they are thinking 5 minutes before they think it. And mine as a stay at home single parent to 4 kids 5 and under... We lay there in bed talking about our days, and really appreciating the tiny amount of time we have been given together, because even though it's small, it's so valuable. We love our life and although we are greatly looking forward to the end of these three long years, we are also grateful for and appreciative of this time. I think it's easy to focus on negatives, especially when we have been given plenty, but it's better for us to focus on the positives. There is a good chance that Paul won't be able to get off work today in time to come to church. This is a sad reality of his job right now. The kids might be poorly behaved and the baby may want to nurse all through Sacrament meeting... BUT, Paul might get off early, he might join us and help keep the kiddies happy while I go out to nurse the baby. The kids might have the best day ever at church even without daddy there. The baby may take an extra long nap and not need to be nursed... So many pleasant things to hope for and focus on. So, happy Sunday to me and you.
8 comments:
I hope you had a happy Sunday!
This time in your life is hard, but it will be worth it. You both are great parents and work together supporting each other.
Grandpa and I send our love!!!
It is so important to focus on the positives. There is a saying that whatever you focus on gets bigger, so if you focus on the negatives, then that will grow. But if you focus on the positives, the blessings will grow. And it really does work that way. Different religions call it different things, but everyone all over the world has this concept: "Count Your Blessings," "Karma," "Law of Attraction," etc.
There is another thing too. If you had the chance to trade problems with other people, and everyone in the world threw all their problems in a pile, and you got to pick, you'd run right in there and grab yours back!!!
Love you all!
Norm and I had a rare date night out yesterday and had this very exact conversation. Such stressful times but so much to be thankful for!
You are so good at this! I was only at church with the kiddies today too, Josh's first day of a tough rotation started so I needed to hear this!! When I think about the rough hours and all that, I just think about all the people who didn't make it this far, that always turns my feelings around really quickly!!
I love your positive attitude. How great the world would be if everyone could think like you do.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Paul, and your sweet little ones.
You are too good. Thanks for writing this. I need to focus more on the positives in my life instead of the negatives which seem to be too many right now. Good luck staying strong doing it on your own. Its hard. I feel ya.
I read somewhere "gratitude turns what we have into enough." It has changed my attitude on life. yay for looking on the positive side!
You are a good example to me Jessie! I too have been trying to focus on the positive, especially on the positive things that my kids do rather than the negatives. I love President Uchtdorf's recent talks where he encourages us to find joy in the journey and dwell in the light.
Post a Comment