And just like that, Matix started KINDERGARTEN. How on earth has my baby gotten SO big? We went to the "meet the teacher" event a few days before, and he met Mrs. Miller, we found his locker, and explored the classroom.
Then on Monday the 25th, the other kids and I took Matix to school. He sat in line outside with other kindergarteners from his class. He found his friends Max and Logan right away. He was excited and nervous. I was sad, but trying to hide it.
We helped him find his locker again, and put everything in it's right place. I brought him into the classroom (which was only allowed on the first day), he found his desk and play-doh and sat down. He looked at me and asked if I needed anything... He was ready. Then he asked for one more kiss and hug, thank goodness, because I needed it. Pictures of him putting things away in his locker and then coming for one last kiss. I love when he does that.
Another day, saying goodbye to Lullaby, so sweet.
Then I stood in the door, blowing him kisses alongside all the other sad moms doing the same thing to their big boys and girls. It was surprisingly harder than I thought it would be. I know, logically, that school is a good thing. Social interactions, taking instruction from teachers, being on his own are all things that I cannot provide for him at home, but it sure feels wrong to not have my biggest boy by my side all day long. I miss him SO much all day long. The only thing that makes it any better is that he is learning and having fun and wanting to go back every day. Picture from the second day, peeking into the classroom to say goodbye one more time...
At the end of each day, we park near the school and walk up to greet our big kindergarten boy. The kids are SO excited to see Matix. We all fight for who hugs him first and longest. Matix likes it, and I think, wants it as much as we do.
And how did his first day (and other 8 days) go? GREAT! He loved it! He knows how to spell a few more words and knows lots of new songs and has lots of new friends. He still wants us to walk him inside, which is fine by me, but he is so BIG and BRAVE. I couldn't be more proud of our first kindergartener. He is amazing.
This picture he wanted me to take of him feeling "happy, but a little TINY bit nervous" about school.
Meanwhile, I felt incredibly guilty about leaving my 5 year old with a STRANGER, who is probably less qualified than I am to teach him all day. Hawk, Lullaby, Solace and I spent the day anywhere they wanted. We went to Chick-fil-A for free breakfast, then to Target to window shop and take pictures of favorite toys (for future birthday present reference).
After we picked up Matix, the guilt continued, and I took the kids to Toys R Us to pick out a fancy candy (and more window shopping), then to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner and playing (Lullaby ALWAYS hits a jackpot at Chuck E. Cheese - totally without trying). I know I don't NEED to do these things but I was out of sorts. A mess really. The kids loved it and I loved having all four together again. It just seems right when they're all together.
More pictures having to do with these last two weeks... Matix and Hawken reunited and playing together after school.
Lulli begging to wear Matix's cool backpack. He usually says no, so when it's a yes, it's a great day for her.
Poor Solace. We have to wake up at 6 am in order to get in the car by 7 am to get to the school, park down the street and walk up by 7:45... He usually sleeps until 8am. So there have been lots of days of him falling asleep in the car eating a snack, or lunch. He also has to get woken up from his naps in order to pick up Matix. Poor guy. It doesn't matter how early I put him down, he will still be sleeping, even 4 hours later, when we have to leave to get Matix. The rough life of the 4th child.
I have also been exercising my sadnesses away. The YMCA is a great place to go and forget about how awful I feel without Matix. If the other three are also out of sight too it doesn't feel as wrong. I even took a weight lifting class (what?!) with my friend Mindy. This was the day that Hawken had a major meltdown (because of Matix being gone, and everything else). You can't tell from the pictures, because by this time he was happy.
In happier news, Hawken started preschool! I am teaching an in home preschool for him and a few of his friends (all who have only one year left before they start kindergarten). The group of kids are SO good together. I have a separate blog for them (click here to see it). I'll still post lots of stuff about it on here though too.
Lullaby has been loving participating in some of the preschool activities too, although you can tell how much more advanced the real preschoolers are. Solace mostly crawls around watching, or sits on my lap watching. He is fascinated with all the kids and likes to see what they are up to, but doesn't really want to play with them. I'm glad they are so easy going so I can focus on teaching. This is a great distraction for me and I have to say that I am loving my Wednesdays Thursdays and Fridays because of preschool.



















5 comments:
Glad he loves school....we all knew he would. He was so ready! This is Hawk's time to shine at preschool with you. :) Love the classroom blog!
I'm so glad Matix is adjusting so well to school and that he has friends already. I hope it will continue to be a positive experience for him. I know you are in your element as a teacher and those kids are lucky to have you in their lives. Hang in there, the separation gets a little easier with time.
All these island babies growing up and going to school! So crazy to think about back then. Love reading your blog jessie and catching up on your darling family!
All these island babies growing up and going to school! So crazy to think about back then. Love reading your blog jessie and catching up on your darling family!
What a cute kindergartner Matix makes!! And that is awesome that you are teaching a preschool class, the kids are lucky to have you as a teacher!
Post a Comment