The morning after we returned to Miami we decided to get rid of the boys' pacifiers. It had been a long time coming and they were getting to the ridiculous point with them. We were going to get rid of them just before the trip, but honestly, Paul and I were too scared to. :) We thought that with that long of a drive, and that many changes it would be too much for them to handle, especially if we took away their comfort item. Following a few friends, we cut the nipple off of the pacifiers like this:
Amazingly, or not, it only was 1 night of torture for us. Paul and I had it the worst though... There is a store super close by that we could have run over to and purchased new pacifiers, but we didn't. Hooray! The boys asked about them a few times and we had to look at them in the trash, talk about it, watch the video again and again, but finally now they get it. Pacifiers are gone now. I am so relieved! They are sleeping better in the night now too because they don't wake up if it falls out of their mouth. Hooray! So many perks. Why did we wait so long?! What is so funny is that now when they see pictures of themselves with pacifiers in their mouths they call themselves "baby Matix" or "baby Hawken", even though they were taken just a few weeks ago... Ha ha ha! And, no judgement please, I know I am the slowest person ever for waiting until Matix was almost 3 and Hawken was 20 months old... All is well that ends well though, right? ;)
6 comments:
is it wrong that I almost got teary when they had to throw them away?! I am obviously not ready to get rid of Emmy's yet-- but she isn't 3 until NOV- and that is my cutoff date-- I'm cherishing the moments! congrats and GREAT job staying strong-- my little advice is to have your girl use a different kind-- that has been a HUGE blessing at our house xo to you and call us now!
Phew, what a relief to have that done and over with!!! No judgement here, in the world of kids, you gotta do what you gotta do!
Yay!! You were probably more hooked than they were.
I remember how traumatic it was for me when my parents took away my pacifier...I can't believe I remember that far back haha. Sounds like you guys handled it really well. I think that is a good sign that they call themselves babies in the pics with the pacifiers--as long as they think big boys don't have binkies, that probably means they won't miss them very much.
Yay for no paci's! No judgment here either, although I was really starting to wonder.... :)
I probably would have had the same problem with Tanner, but he weined himself off at 6 months. He wouldn't switch to the bigger size, and all the smaller ones were gross. I'll have to see what happens with the new baby!
What big boys! I took Ella's away when she turned two and it was a rough couple days. My pediatrician totally freaked me out about the orthodontic work that would she would need if she kept it. I swore that with the next I would take it away before he is old enough to ask for it....but we'll see if I am strong enough to actually do it! Good job Boys!!
Post a Comment