Thursday, April 14, 2011

Matix

When we originally potty trained Matix we would reward him with a skittle or m&m for making it to the bathroom. It was a great thing initially because he didn't always remember to get one, and so he was only eating a couple each day, even though he would pee or poop at least 25 times. BUT, then he realized how much he LOVES candy, and would make excuses to go, and sometimes even sneak in to get some candy... Hmmmm... So, one day when he walked out with a mouth FULL of M&Ms, I made him spit them out (traumatic), go to time out (devastating), and then told him he would no longer be getting candy for going to the bathroom (interesting...). I really thought it would be like this, a protest, accidents, refusals, what had I done...?
But, there was none of that! He made the transition beautifully. No tears, no accidents, no refusals, no protests. Hooray! Also, I made this little chart (we have used similar things in the past, so he knew what it was). He gets a sticker each time he uses the toilet now, and when his chart is full he gets a special surprise.
The best part is the surprise part. If I don't have anything in the house to give him, I say, "Great job! Your special surprise is going for a walk to the playground!" or "You get to play tickle monster with Mommy!" or anything like that. He has also received little Target $1 prizes too, nothing big, and I am loving the fact that he isn't consuming so much candy. He doesn't get a sticker for all the times he uses the bathroom outside our house (playground, store, etc.), so it takes him a while to fill it up, and in the meantime, he learns a great lesson in patience. He hasn't even brought it up again since the initial switch. What a good boy.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Great plan!! Alexandra is also very into reward charts. I remember Jolie was so fussy at bedtime that we had a chart labeled "happy bedtimes." She got her sticker in the morning if she went to bed with no fussing and stayed there all night.

Josh and Kelly said...

Thanks for the good laugh with that "will pee for candy" sign ha ha. You are a great mom jessie, I can tell you were a teacher:)